We all know that having plants in our homes can be very beneficial as they are very nice looking and green providing us with a relaxing feeling throughout the day.
Unfortunately, not all plants are good plants; always have this in mind when you plan to put some pot of plant into your home. In this article we shall present you a tragic story of one person who unfortunately lost his own child because of one plant kept in his home.
Here is his story: “My son died because he put a piece of leaf in his mouth and the tongue swelled leading to suffocation. This plant is quite common in many homes and offices. It is deadly poisonous and dangerous, to the point of killing a child in 1 minute and an adult in 15 minutes. If you touch it by chance you should never bring your fingers to your eyes, as this could cause permanent blindness. Warn your friends and family”.
This man revealed his story publically because he wanted to warn every person who by any chance has owned this plant in its home as it may lead to death.
The name of his son was Esteban who was 5 years old who was playing around the house. However, he started to feel bad and his mother thought it was just indigestion or fatigue. Unfortunately, this wasn’t the case; the child showed a strange color on his skin and had great difficulties with breathing. The parents immediately called 911, and the child was transferred to the hospital where he was admitted as poisoning emergency. No one could tell what was really happening, and after half an hour the doctor brought the terrible news to Esteban’s parents that the child had passed away. The doctor believed that the reason for his death was poisoning from something he had eaten. The parents were in great shock, as they could not figure out what has Esteban eaten that could cause such terrible effect.
After thorough blood testing, it was revealed that the child had inside his blood stream a large dose of a chemical known as calcium oxalate.
This chemical is found in a plant called Diefenbaker or better known in countries of Latin America as Amoena. This is rather common plant that every house has it since it is endurable and it does not require plenty of sunlight, and because of that it is frequently kept in offices. However, after reading this story you need to be extremely careful provided that you have this plant near you, and especially if children are near it as a result of its high rate of poisoning if it is by any chance consumed.
Statistics from 2006 reveal that in U. S. were registered 64,250 cases of poisoning with plants, of which 75% were children under the age of 5.
If by any chance someone suffered a poisoning of Diefenbaker, the National Library of Medicine of the United States advises to clean the mouth with a cold, wet cloth, after that rinse your eyes and drink plenty of milk. This is the first response to poisoning of Diefenbaker; the second one is to immediately consult a care center.
Diefenbaker is a very dangerous plant as it can cause death, and because of that do not forget to share this information with your loved ones and friends or to anyone you know.